2010-02-16

Post-Football Lull

This is about my least favorite time of the year, at least when it comes to sports. Football is over. That's normally depressing enough, but this season for the first time I'm dealing with the Colts having lost the Superbowl to the Saints, which adds another level of dreariness to this time period. Sure, college basketball is in full swing, but for whatever reason I just don't get into it until March Madness. Even then, I just don't have the attention span for it. The NBA is going on, but that's only slightly more entertaining than golf. Yawn.

At least this year, we've got the Winter Olympics. Unfortunately, NBC seems to believe that not allowing events to be streamed live will generate more interest in its nightly broadcasts, which is a complete crock. To me, the appeal of watching a sporting event is completely lost when the action is not live. If I see the winners' names scrolling across the bottom of the screen before I've seen the event, I tune out. This happened yesterday with the men's downhill event: I saw on the ticker and on the news broadcast that Bode Miller took the bronze. That completely ruined their broadcast of the event for me. There's no excitement, no anticipation, no suspense. In short, no reason to watch.

But despite the Olympics, sports are pretty much dead to me until April, when baseball season starts up. Baseball is nowhere near as exciting as football, but I must admit that there's a certain appeal to the 160+ game season. You see players work through hot streaks and cold streaks, and any given game can be won by either team. There's always the excitement of a no-hitter, or, as was the case last season, a perfect game (Mark Buehrle). Plus, watching pitchers late in games under pressure can be pretty entertaining as well. Here's hoping that this year can be the Cubs' year (ha, Cubs fans have been saying this before every season for the past 102 years, and ended each year disappointed).

Any suggestions on something to follow for the next two months?

No comments:

Post a Comment